2008-07-03

Daring Baker Challenge


Well this was offically due June 29th, but with swimming sharkfest I am a little late posting. The Daring Bakers are a group of ladies that accept a challenge once a month to make a recipe that is chosen by one of the members. The recipe is usually something that will teach a new skill or challenge the skills you already have.


This months challenge was a Danish Braid. It was hosted by Kelly from Sass and Veracity and Ben from What's Cooking. The recipe is Sherry Yard's from The Secrets of Baking. It took a little bit of time but was really fun trying something new. The recipe filling that went with the recipe was apple but we were given the option of substituting what we wanted. Since strawberries are fresh out of the fields I made a strawberry with cream cheese filling. Since the recipes makes two braids I opted to fill the other one with a cherry pie filling using the rest of my left over cream cheese mixture. Lesson learned? I was in such a rush to get this finished I rolled out my dough, added filling and then completed the braid only to realize I now had to transfer my delicate work of art onto a baking sheet. So roll the dough, then transfer to baking sheet to finish the rest of the prepartions. Needless to say the cherry one was a disfigured mess, but still tasted yummy. I told my daughter I was going to post a picture of it and tell everyone that was her attempt at making the danish braid. Then she threatened not to talk to me again, which really isn't a threat now is it, but I decided to save both of our pride and just post the strawberry one.


So here is my outcome and the recipe as given through Daring Bakers.




Completed braid as it came out of the oven. I drizzled a powdered sugar frosting over the top but it kind of melted because it was still hot. We were trying to eat this as we rushed off to mutual.

This was Mark's plate. I realize it isn't as pretty as some of the other posters, but I will learn. He also requested ice cream with his.

If you would like to try this yourself, you can get the recipe here. If you are interested in joining the Daring Bakers you can do so here. You can also just visit this site to explore some of the members and how their challenges turned out.

I guess the website is being revamped so check back and if you have any questions, go ahead and ask me :)

4 comments:

Steff said...

Oh man, I still haven't done this challenge yet. I keep meaning to do it but it's been CRAZY since we've gotten home. (Yeah, because I'm sure your life is calm and easy with nothing going on...haha) Anyway, hopefully things have calmed down a bit and maybe I can get it done.

It looks great. I can't wait to try it. Nice work!

Tfamily said...

I keep checking your blog to see how yours turned out and figured you must have taken a pass for this month. It is hard to catch up when your gone, even for a few days. Oh well, there is always next month :)

Unknown said...

Looks great! I'm sure it did taste wonderful.

BC said...

It doesn't matter how it looked - it tasted fantastic!