2008-05-06

Dangers in the Pool

I ended up missing my swim last Friday (I say that like I always hit Friday when in fact that would be the first Friday in a long time) because I was watching my adorable nephews. If you want to learn more about them visit my sister in laws site here - Kari and Kyle. It was a lot of fun. Forgot how funny kids are when they are little. Brody helped me put flowers in my planters. They were great kids. But back to my story. So finally on Monday, after sitting in my car for a few minutes pondering how great it would be to just send my body in to swim while I stayed out and read a good book, I got into the pool area. Low and behold all the lanes were taken, which is unusual. So instead of sharing lanes with 2 guys in the middle I choose lane 1. The lane with kickboard lady and side stroking lady (less intimidating). I ask kickboard lady if she minded me joining their lane. She said that would be fine and that she wasn't actually swimming so they were going to probably kick her out anyways. I encouraged her to keep going, "You only get better the more you swim". Then she proceeds to tell me there is a bungee cord in the bottom of the pool. With my goggles on I stick my head under the water and sure enough, a bungee cord. Kickboard lady is stressing and thinks I should hop out and grab a pole to fish it out. I tell her that if she likes I will attempt to swim down and get it. She then responds that maybe I had better not, it is 12 feet deep and that is dangerous (I didn't have the heart to tell her in 2 months I would be swimming side by side with great white sharks as they nip at my heels - see earlier posts). I then told her that I would give it one try, and if I didn't succeed (and they didn't end up dragging the bottom of the pool for my body) I would get the pole. I dove down, grabbed said bungee and tossed it up on the pool deck. I like to think she was impressed by my grace and finesse. But all she said was thanks and kickboarded away. So let that be a lesson to you, before you even think of diving to the bottom of the deep end, know that it is dangerous and should only be attempted by trained professionals.

1 comment:

Steff said...

Ohhh, I could give you some great bonding time with your nephews if we lived closer! I would love that. :)

I know what you mean about wishing you could just send your body to exercise and your mind could relax and read a good book. Why does it have to be so hard? :(

That's funny that the lady was so stressed about the bungee cord in the pool. I'm impressed that you dove down and got it. I haven't done that since high school. I feel like it might hurt my ears now. What a loser lady not even being grateful to you for removing the "danger" item. How's the training coming? I'm having a hard time. Charlie may get banned from the gym childcare because of a hitting problem and the pool is very crowded at 5:45am (weird, huh?). It's hard to share a lane with people who are different levels than you. It messes up the workout. It's also hard to get up at 5am to get to the pool in Orem (my only choice) by 5:45. Oh well. Hopefully I won't drown. :(